Who we are
Our website address is: https://dontbethatguy.org.
Applicable laws and guides
Even though we are not a corporate and not selling anything, we are taking the provisions of the Consumer Protection Act of South Africa very seriously. Please see below how we aim to protect your privacy and other rights as a user of our services.
What information do we collect?
We collect information from you when you register on our site, subscribe to our newsletter, respond to a survey or fill out a form.
When registering on our site, as appropriate, you may be asked to enter your name, e-mail address, mailing address, phone number, ID number passport number, or other information necessary to complete our contracts.
If you request help on our site, we may ask for additional information, but we:
- use the information only for its intended purposes
- scrub it from our database once we do not need it anymore
What do we use your information for?
Any of the information we collect from you may be used in one of the following ways:
- To personalize your experience – your information helps us to better respond to your individual needs.
- To improve our website – we continually strive to improve our website information and offerings based on the information and feedback we receive from you.
- To send periodic emails – the email address you provide may be used to send you requested information, respond to inquiries, and/or other requests or questions. We do not tolerate spam, and will not send you unsolicited e-mail.
- To process transactions – your information, whether public or private, will not be sold, exchanged, transferred, or given to any other company for any reason whatsoever, without your consent, other than for the express purpose of delivering the service requested.
- To improve user service – your information helps us to more effectively respond to your requests and support needs.
- To administer a contest, promotion, survey or other site feature – we are a non-profit organisation, and may use anonymised data to promote our site. No personally identifiable information will ever be used for such purposes without your explicit permission.
How do we protect your information?
We implement a variety of security measures to maintain the safety of your personal information when you enter, submit, or access your personal information. We offer the use of a secure server. All supplied sensitive/credit information is transmitted via Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology and then encrypted into our Payment gateway providers database only to be accessible by those authorized with special access rights to such systems, and are required to keep the information confidential. After a transaction, your private information is kept on file and stored securely.
Do we disclose any information to outside parties?
We do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to unauthorised outside parties your personally identifiable information. This does not include trusted third parties who assist us in operating our website, conducting our business, or servicing you, so long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential. We may also release your information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our site policies, or protect ours or others rights, property, or safety. However, non-personally identifiable visitor information may be provided to other parties for marketing, advertising, or other uses.
Third party links
Occasionally, at our discretion, we may include or offer third party services on our website. These third party sites have separate and independent privacy policies. We therefore have no responsibility or liability for the content and activities of these linked sites. Nonetheless, we seek to protect the integrity of our site and welcome any feedback about these sites. We do not provide these third party sites with your personally identifiable information, but may provide them with demographics of our broad user base, such as percentage of males or females, age groups, etc.
Children’s Online Privacy Protection
Due to the nature of our work, we may collect information from children under 13 years of age, however, the information will be handled with extreme caution and confidentiality.
Terms and Conditions
Please also visit our terms and conditions page that establishes the use, disclaimers, and limitations of liability governing the use of our website.
This policy was last modified on 05 March 2022.
We are a volunteer organisation, and would prefer to handle contact through our website only, as we also have day jobs.
South African citizens: Promotion of Access to Information Act (PAIA)
We are a non-profit organisation, and all our content is geared to help. Any information you request will not be unreasonably withheld.
If you need any information from us in accordance to the PAIA act, please contact us, and we will do our best to provide the information as fast as possible. Please keep in mind that we are volunteers, and our time is limited, so this may take a while.